To get over the matter that's haunted me to sleep, I've decided to blog about it. The idea is to vent the frustration in hopes of alleviating it.
Two things.
Deferment and Saturday as a workday.
Now that I've typed them side-by-side, it kinda bothered me that they turned out to be associated to one another.
Just seeing the word deferment, and my eyes are beginning to well up.
Saturday workdays.
As most of you know, I got admitted to UPOU for a professional teaching certificate course this second semester. Everything was running smoothly as planned, until last night.
The moment I got in weeks ago, I started drafting my career, life and social plan for the next year. Game plan involves, enrolling next week as I continue working for WE. Although, I would admit that I foresaw in what would be, slight conflicts between work and school after the our editorial meeting the other night(travels which I would elaborate later on), that's basically the plan and I intend to stick with it.The email I received last week mentioned that I could already grab my admission pack anytime, starting yesterday so I could proceed to the enrollment process.
After calling at UPOU yesterday to ask for their office ours, I was more than resolved to pickup my admission pack this morning and run to our house in Marikina to help in organizing a few of our stuff. However, it occurred to me that my boss wanted me to shoot her an email which I forgot to do yesterday. And the file being on my computer at the office, I had no choice but to send an sms to one of my editors, and ask if he'd come to the office so I could have him email it to me instead of going there personally.
His response nearly caused me to drop from where I was seated, "Bakit kailangan mo ng kasama?"
My eyes being naturally droopy shifted to the widest conceivable size reflective of utter horror. WHHHUUUTTT??!!!
Ok yeah, that editor did mention that there'd be work on Saturdays, but he added that the other editors are very lenient about it and more often than not, they manage to just go around with a no-work Saturday. So I hoped that would be the routine.
Well, I wouldn't be blogging right now about it with a splitting headache, deprived of rest, had I not been immensely saddened by the gravity of that situation. Fine! To be perfectly honest, it's more of, I brushed off the whole thought of Saturday workdays. Hey, I was given the wrong impression here, not that I'm a delinquent newbie you know.
From my fantasy of rest day Saturday, by default, I would have work every Saturday for my first 5 months in the company. Save for the ones that the editor-in-chief explicitly tagged as no-work-day. Which I think is totally fair, despite the fact that it would apparently ruin my schooling game plan. Which brings us to my snap decision to defer.
Deferment
For the next six months, our team is set to travel around the country to do shoots and features for our July-December destination issue. Think La Union to Davao. *sigh*
I know. Just thinking about it pumps my adrenaline out of excitement. :D
And usually, a trip lasts for a week or more. While I can still bring Cherry with me, something that I am pretty sure will be the case for I have to write, I'm no super-multitasker to be able to juggle that much of task. In fact, I haven't tried it yet. So the idea of having to risk doing it is somewhat a remote thought for me. It's my education and career at stake here. If I mess up, I might end up losing both. That I cannot afford and cannot allow to happen.
Hence the decision to defer for this semester.
If my calculations were correct, by the time the first semester resumes, that would be June, I would be part of the company for 8 months, meaning -- no more Saturday workdays. YAY!
That's the NEW plan.
PS. I'm not really sure if this is a psychological disorder, or what, but I feel so much assured and at peace, once I see a plan laid out in the table waiting for execution. That sense of fulfillment is filling me to the brim right now, that I can actually let go of the disappointment that rendered me sleepless last night.
Thank God.

2 comments:
i'd kill for your job right now. seriously. if i get an offer like that. i'd quit this one right away.
Hehe, I know right. Which is why I can't risk the idea of slipping in a mistake here.
Post a Comment
I know you love me, so do drop me a line :)